Wednesday, December 24, 2003

Hey everyone~
I have had a smile plastered across my face for the last 40 minutes reading all of my emails. It sounds like everyone is doing great. Well this week has flew by and I have taught my first lesson. It was only for 20 minutes but I think I did really well. I have to teach everyday for 45 minutes for the next 2 weeks. I am scared but I figure I have been able to do it once I can do it a few more times. Its just scary because you have people watching you, if it were just the students it would be ok. So my language skills are slowly coming along, I am conversing more and more with my family and it is really amazing. Oh, I made pizza last sunday for them over charcoal and it came out awesome, I did burn the first one but otherwise it was great. I think my family really liked it, though I am not making it anymore because it was really expensive. I am goign to stick to mashed potatoes which I am goign to make tomorrow.
So in about 4 weeks we swear in. This sounds so exciting. We have this huge party with our families and then we leave and go to Maputo where we will stay for 4 nights at the hotel and be living the good life until we have to leave for our sites. WE find out what sites we will be going to the first week of december. I can not wait until then.
I put together this picture wall in Casa Grande (this is a place that is huge and has our library and also has air) it was from the first few days in Mozambique, wow was it interesting to look at. I remember all the anticipation and having no clue what I was getting myself into. It is really fun to look back. Also I am figuring out how to get things done here. I had to write up a little petition and have people sign it so that us females could get something that was supposed to be supplied but our wonderful medical officer keeps telling us no. So we went over him to our country director.
For some reason I love doing things like that, or at least getting things done. I would say in a timely matter but here nothing is in what we would consider a timely manner.
This past week it has been raining quite a bit. I woke up in the middle of the night when the rain started and I couldn't sleep because it was really loud on our tin roof. Yes our roof is tin. I actually had to put the pillow over my head, oh yeah mom you could send me my ear plugs-they are in my jewelry box or in my nightstand. You have to love moms that ship you tons of things including food to Mozambique. Well I lover her regardless of the awesome goodies.
So christmas is right around the corner, how weird. We are having a thanksgiving celebration in 2 weeks and then I guess for christmas we all go to the beach or something like that. Going to the beach for christmas-I would have never thought. Its exciting and knowing that next christmas I am goign to visit home and be able to see the snow that I dislike.
Anyway my diet here is still of beans and rice and my family keeps telling me how they want to be fat, I am like no you don't. Wow is it different than the US. I guess the families judge how their volunteers are doing by how much weight they have gained! With that note I am going to close this email.
So everyone have a good week and I will email you again next week
Love you all and miss you,
Shells xoxoxoxo

No comments: