Wednesday, December 24, 2003

Hey Everyone~~
Well another week has finished and I can't say it was anything because I missed school for three days. I was however able to teach for 2 days and next week will be full of teaching. I've had a major headache and finally yesterday I was given migraine medicine which seems to be doing the trick. Nothing like having migraines in Moz. It sucks and all I have done is lay around the yard all day and sleep, talk and eat. What more could I possibly want.
I did get mail yesterday which was awesome. Thanks mom and Scott. Scott~~I received the money you sent thanks. Mom I will send those stamps back to you, thanks for thinking of me. I love fridays mail and money what more could you want....running water-oh how I miss you.
So last night during dinner we lost power. I had to take my flashlight to the latrine which I have stopped doing and I realized why I had stopped. Its so much nicer when you don't see all the wonderful critters. But without the flashlight when there is no electricity you can't see your hand in front of your face-I am not quite sure what happened to the moon light.
So for the most part my week has been blah. I have spent lots of time at home and have learned a lot about my family. I was able to fill out a form that stated where I wanted to go-it may not happen but I have hopes that it will. I stated the beach-but I am sure lots of people said the beach.
I spent a lot of time with my host sister-whom I really admire. She seems to have her head on straight and I want to help her but I run into this problem of whether or not too. I mean I help where I can but there are so many other families out there that need more help than my family. I mean my host sister is in the process of getting her own house built and there are so many other families that can't even feed there children let alone pay for a home. There is so much need and so little money. What my host mom makes in a month the P.C. pays her in a week for having me. And we're only talking about $40 a week for me. Thats what she makes in a month-to me that is outrageous-we would crab if thats what we made in a day let alone a month. So different-so very different.
Oh I wanted to say that if you don't receive mail from me don't feel offended. What it costs to mail one letter is more than for an hour of internet. And it takes a hell of a lot longer. I know some of you wanted my web site address but I have no idea what it is...sorry- but really my emails are what is on my website. I do however have my address :
Michelle Kramer, PCT
Peace Corps
C.P. 4398
Maputo, Mozambique
Other than that-the food is well rice-always, beans-sometimes, mboa and coulve-which I like a lot, fish which I don't like, some chicken stew thing which is pretty good, some skin of some animal which I won't touch.
Speaking of not touching things-I found a kitten last night and I fed it lots of fish. I think it was very happy though it wasn't moving a whole lot this morning. I think I may have over fed it. It is crawling with fleas-oh yeah mom can you send me a few dog flea collars, cat flea collars and I was also thinking about those things you put in the nape of the animals neck that liquid stuff. Don't worry about when you send it, I just figure with some package taht you will send. Dogs are a great thing to have to protect the house-when they decide to stay around and not pasear--which means to walk around, cats are good for the little rodents that seem to be everywhere. I wanted a monkey but that is against peace corps policy. I want to give the kitten a bath but my family insists that when you bathe an animal it dies. I am not quite sure why-but I will let them have their beliefs.
WEll thats all for now, oh yeah I will not be writing anything more for about 2 1/2 weeks. Next weekend we are celebrating thanksgiving, and the following weekend will be the last with our host families. We leave around the 9th or 10th for Maputo and we will be staying in a luxurious hotel for 4 nights. Air conditioning and running water I couldn''t ask for more. WE will be swearing in some day I think the 13th at the ambassadors house which I hear is nice, with swimming pool. So we get it made for a few days and then we're off on our own.
Anyhow I will send emails out in a few weeks. I hope all is well in everyones life. Oh- I want to say that if there is anyone out there that is still puffing on cigarettes-Quit please. Lung cancer sucks and I'd like all to be around when I get home in two years!
Ok, thats my advice for now,
I miss you all and love you guys lots,
Shells xoxoxoxoxoxo

No comments: