Monday, February 09, 2004

Hey everyone~
Well I am back in Maputo for the time being. I got here on Sunday evening, they flew me north to another city and then south to Maputo, I don't ask but we had two layovers before we ever got to Maputo. To say the least it was a very long flight. But I am here and as soon as I get a ride back to the hotel to leave Helanas package I will be off to buy a cell phone. . Scott you can call Jeannette, she will have it also. I tried buying a cell phone yesterday but in this country everything is closed on Sundays. I am leaving tomorrow, I think, I am on a waiting list and should find out later. If not I will leave on Wednesday. I am not sure of the next time that I will have access to a network for the phone. I mean I go to the city every weekend but with the time difference I am usually home before you guys wake up. Unless I spend the night there, its hopeless. I know that i will have cell access in April. So I guess for those two months it will be up to the internet to do the talking for me.
A few quick things, mom I didn't receive anything. Maybe next time. I am receiving my mail that is being sent to me at the school. Remember letters to the school and packages to Maputo. Oh Chris tell your parents I got their X-mas card and tell them thanks and it was really nice of them to send one to me.
As for school, my house, my life- it is all good. Our freezer is treating us good, though it has started with little electrical shocks, but we think we know what we have to do. Our house hasn't been falling apart lately, though I think the ants are eating through our mud walls. Actually I think they are eating through our concrete in the bathroom-I didn't know they could do that so I am not sure if it is really concrete or what. As for the ants I had one in my pants the other day when I went to school. I was in class teaching when something was biting the heck out of my leg. I was scratching and all and the students were like go to the bathroom so it will leave. I was like no I have to teach, well when I got home I had at least a dozen welts on my leg. I think the ant crawled up my leg when I was going to the bathroom-since there are a ton in our bathroom and proceeded to hang out and bite the hell out of me. Anyway it was a fun experience.
As far as other things our boy that we had helping us didn't work, we fired him and just hired a new one on Sunday when I left. Teaching is fun, exhausting and hot. I have seven classes and four are 8th graders. Which I have a lot of translating in those classes. They keep changing our schedule and on wednesday I start at 7 and don't finish till 10:15 pm. My classes are spread out but it is still exhausting because then I have a class the next morning at 7 and at night when I am finished I like to plan my lessons. But I think they are changing it because I told them I can't do it. I don't mind teaching at night but I can't teach that late.
It has started to cool down here, I mean I don't sleep with my fan at night. Sometimes I am actually cold. At times when we take walks at night I actually put on a long sleeve shirt. Who thought that 60-70 was cold. I never thought I would use that word here. But I guess when your body gets adjusted to the temperature, thats what happens.
None of these pics are really recent they are from December. The next batch will be of my town and house and what have you. I just haven't had the time to take pics or the occassion and when I did my batteries weren't charged and the batteries at the market are not strong enough for my camera. So next time, I will have everything set.
Otherwise I sleep well, besides the sag in my bed, I eat pretty well and the most important is that I am still enjoying myself. Oh and my health is good.
Well I am going to close with that,
I hope everyone is doing well and take care
Miss you and love you ,
shells

No comments: