Saturday, October 25, 2003

Hey everyone~
To say the last almost week has been overwhelming is to say nothing. We have moved from city to city, and country to country. In Philly we were just waking up really early and learning what we would be experiencing in general and what we should and should not do and learning about each other.
Then we took the long uncomfortable flight to JO-Berg. Well it was extremely long, I couldn't sleep, I was having a small reaction to my yellow fever shot and I watched some really cool movies. We had our own personal tv's and could choose whatever it was that we wanted. Tv shows, movies, music videos...you get the point.
When we arrived in Jo-Berg we were unable to leave the hotel, which was fine with me. We chilled out by the pool, met some rugby players from George (which were really cute) and had a few cocktails. When we got back to our rooms we pretty much had to get ready for more briefing and another move.
We took a flight from Jo-Berg to Maputo and we have been in this hotel for two days and we will be here just another night. The hotels have been really nice and air conditioned. We have talked to lots of volunteers and got lots of shots. My arms feel like someone has been continuously punching me. I got a rabies vaccine!!! I was shocked, but whatever to keep me in good health.
Otherwise, my experience thus far has been very pleasant. I am looking forward to moving in with our families tomorrow. Though I am concerned because I only know a few things like how to ask where the bathroom is, how to say good morning and all those basic things that really don't do much for you if you need something. And I guess it helps that you know what they are saying when they answer back. The language is like a mix of Spanish and French and I find my spanish impeding what I am learning in portuguese. I am sure after being with a family for ten weeks, I won't have tooo much of a problem.
So the cool thing is that I might not have running water, electricity but I will probably have a cell phone. What a contradiction. Basically its like everyone has one. They are starting up a new site in the Northern provinces which I think would be really cool, but soooo far from everyone. We pretty much are guaranteeed to be with at least one other volunteer no matter where they put us. Which I think is great so we can lean on each other when we need too.
Everyone here seems so nice. We have 42 volunteers, which is the biggest group mozambique has ever had. Everyone has been very nice and welcoming. This actually reminds me a lot of the Dominican Republic. That is what I have seen from the airport to the hotel which was about a half an hour drive. It is so weird to see people driving on the wrong side of the car and teh wrong side of teh road. I am not sure what signals they obey but they seem to know what they are doing. I understand why we are unable to operate any type of vehicles here.
Well I should go since there is a line of people waiting for the 2 computers they have. I have been on an hour emailing those I can. So I hope all is well in everyones life and I am doing awesome.
I will hopefully talk to some of you soon!!!!!
I miss you all and love you lots,
Shells
10/6/03

No comments: